Smart Tips 2: Staying safe in your kitchen

Staying Safe In Your Kitchen

Next in my series of Smart tips of answers frequently asked questions is Smart tip 2 Staying Safe in your kitchen.

Over half of all house fires start in the kitchen. Government statistics show that most reported accidental fires caused by electricity in the home are due to people misusing electrical cooking appliances, including microwaves.

Taking special care when using electrical appliances is important to stay safe. The combination of wat.er, hot surfaces, flexible cables and electricity found in a kitchen can and far too often is very dangerous. Follow our tips to stay safe.

  • Don’t leave appliances like dishwashers or washing machines running unattended
  • Don’t wrap cables around equipment when it is still warm
  • Check that flexible leads and appliances such as kettles and toasters are in good condition
  • Don’t clean or repair appliances when they are still plugged in
  • Never try to get toast out of a toaster while it is plugged in, particularly not with a metal knife - there are often live parts inside
  • Be sure to clean your oven and grill – build ups of fat and grease is a major cause of fires
  • Check your plug sockets are not overloaded with appliances as this can lead to overheating

For these and more tips on staying safe in your kitchen go to our smart tips page at www.tamworthelectricians.co.uk/helpsheet-download/smart-tips-2-staying-safe-your-kitchen